The Dominican Sisters were founded by St Dominic, in 1206 at Prouille, France.
In 1867, eight Dominican Sisters from Dun Laoghaire in Ireland responded willingly to a request from Dr James Murray to bring Catholic education to the newly created Diocese of Maitland. For eight years, the Dominican Sisters remained the only religious congregation of women in the diocese.
Today, this group serving in the Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle is known as the Dominican Sisters of Eastern Australia and the Solomon Islands.
Visit the Dominican Sisters online.