Ecumenical and Interfaith Council
The Diocesan Ecumenical and Interfaith Council aims to promote and strengthen ecumenical and interfaith attitudes within the diocese, facilitates and encourages growth of initiatives at parish and regional levels and offers advice to the bishop on these matters. As a resource for the establishing of ecumenism throughout the diocese, the Council assists the diocesan community to translate its vision and Pastoral Plan into action.
The Council is of service to the diocesan community by:
- Being an informed body in the diocese in relation to ecumenical and interfaith matters.
- Communicating with parishes and regions.
- Assisting pastoral regions in the diocese to establish a similar ecumenical and interfaith group.
- Dealing with the immediacy of ecumenical and interfaith issues as they arise.
- Providing ecumenical and interfaith formation and education.
- Participating in inter-council collaboration.
The diocesan document Ecumenical and Interfaith Relations within the Catholic Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle, draws upon a broad range of documents and is based on Vatican II ecclesiology, recent decrees and study reports.
These guidelines are an attempt to promote the unity for which Jesus Christ prayed, and for which we also pray. The Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle is firmly committed to this process towards unity. The documents are a sign of that commitment.
Contact us on (02) 4979 1200 for a copy of Ecumenical and Interfaith Relations within the Catholic Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle.