The Catholic Women's League Australia Inc. (CWLA) is an organisation of women who, from a local branch level through to the national executive, endeavour to promote and uphold the sanctity of family life and defend the dignity of women and Christian principles. CWLA is the official Catholic women's organisation throughout Australia and works in close co-operation with other organisations within the Church.
At a local level and in the Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle, Catholic women are able to join branches in their parishes and together, members endeavour to:
- defend the Christian family way of life
- uphold morality in society
- attend regular meetings and fellowship
- promote ecumenism
- support their parish priests as needed
- pray for vocations to the priesthood, religious life, and the lay apostolate
- support Catholic aid and development organisations.
Members also engage in works of Christian love by supporting charitable organisations, visiting the sick and the lonely, helping the aged and handicapped and also assisting the homeless and migrant groups.
On a national level, Catholic Women’s League Australia:
- maintains constant communication with all member organisations
- speaks out on matters of social justice and of importance to the family
- presents the Catholic viewpoint to politicians at Federal, State and local level on matters which affect the well-being of its members and society in general
- brings Catholic women together to give them companionship of like-minded people, mutual support and a sense of belonging to an extended family
- encourages them to deepen their faith (the strength of our League), by studying the Gospels and the teaching of the Church.
CWLA is affiliated with the World Union of Catholic Women's Organisations, which is an international body open to all Catholic women's organisations; it is recognised by the Holy See and maintains relations with seven Vatican departments. It also has consultative status on five Councils of the United Nations.
Our diocesan representative is Margo Nancarrow
E: firstname.lastname@example.org P: 0418 657 989.