Parish Leader – Myall Coast Parish
The Myall Coast Parish Leader is responsible for the Mass Centres of Bulahdelah, Tea Gardens and Karuah. These three Mass Centres are situated along the middle northern part of the Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle and approximately 40 minutes to an hour north of Newcastle, in the Port Stephens Pastoral Region. The Priest Supervisor resides in Raymond Terrace. He is the Parish Priest of Raymond Terrace and in this role is responsible for the Mass communities of Raymond Terrace, Medowie, and Mallabula.
The primary purpose of this position is to lead the parish with the support of the Priest Supervisor so that the people of the Myall Coast Parish are cared for pastorally, sacramentally and spiritually. The Parish Leader will provide to members of the Parish opportunities to nurture and deepen their relationship with God, while inspiring those involved in ministry. The role is one of supporting people involved in ministry, calling forth new ministers into ministries and helping to develop new directions in the area of lay pastoral ministries etc.
A Parish Leader is a person other than a priest, appointed by the Bishop, who is entrusted with a share in the pastoral care of a parish community in accordance with Canon Law 517.2. This person exercises a leadership role of responsibility for the day to day functioning of a parish community in partnership with the Priest Supervisor. You will be responsible for the normal pastoral and administrative duties of the community with the exception of those duties and responsibilities reserved in general for an ordained priest or in particular the Priest Supervisor, as specified by Canon Law and the Diocesan Bishop.
The position will be remunerated as per the Pastoral and Ministry Workers Recommended (CCER) Rates of Pay, dependent on qualifications and experience.
The hours for this part-time position will be up to 24 hours per week.
Please note, to be considered for this position you must provide individual responses to each the selection criteria below, both essential and desirable.
- A committed, theologically sound practising Catholic.
- Qualifications in theology, pastoral ministries, teaching, administration or other relevant disciplines or equivalent experience.
- Leadership experience and ability to organise administrative and pastoral functions of a parish.
- Ability to organise, prioritise and manage several tasks at one time in order to meet deadlines.
- Ability and desire to mentor parishioners as potential parish leaders.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (written and oral) skills.
- Capacity to work collaboratively and effectively as a member of a team.
- Experience with managing people, both staff and volunteers.
- Have a demonstrated high degree of confidentiality.
- Understanding of the Canonical responsibilities of parish life.
- Ability to liaise with the Priest Supervisor and Sacramental priests as required.
- Competency in Microsoft Suite of programs.
- A current Working with Children Check for paid employment.
- Current Senior First Aid Certificate.
To apply for this position, applicants must upload a current resume and cover letter, which addresses each of the essential and desirable criteria above.
**Please note that not adequately addressing the selection criteria may mean that your application is not shortlisted.**
The successful applicant must have the right to work within Australia, hold a current Working with Children Check, undergo a National Criminal Check, complete a Health Assessment Declaration, and hold a current Australian drivers licence.
Applications close: 11.59pm Sunday, 3 May 2020.